What is the curriculum?
The foundation programme curriculum 2016 (the curriculum) sets out the framework for educational progression that will support the first two years of professional development, following graduation from medical school. The "Curriculum" portfolio menu item is the e-portfolio version of the syllabus section of the curriculum.
The syllabus is organised into four sections reflecting the central themes set out in Good Medical Practice.
Section 1: Professional behaviour and trust
Section 2: Communication, team working and leadership
Section 3: Clinical care
Section 4: Safety and quality
The links on this page take you to the UK Foundation Programme Office's and GMC's websites respectively.
Learn more about the curriculum in Horus.
What is a foundation professional capability (FPC)?
There are 20 foundation programme training ‘outcomes’ to be achieved within the curriculum; these are termed ‘foundation professional capabilities’ (FPCs) and are fully explained in the curriculum.
There are 20 FPCs, split into 4 syllabus sections, describing the key clinical and professional aspects of medical practice. FPCs are the outcomes of foundation training and indicate what the doctor in training is expected to be able to do.
In order to progress from F1 into F2 and from F2 into GP or specialty training the foundation doctor has to be signed off for each FPC as having met or exceeded the minimum levels of performance required for sign off.
Within the e-portfolio foundation doctors must provide evidence of how their achievements related to each FPC meet or exceed the expected minimum standard of performance for their year of foundation training. This is done by mapping relevant portfolio content to each FPC. Look out for the "use as evidence" link by each completed form - COMING SOON.
Where is the curriculum in Horus?
The curriculum is found in each foundation doctor's portfolio menu item called "Curriculum". Open this portfolio menu item to view the curriculum.
Anyone who has access to the foundation doctor's portfolio has access to this section, which shows:
- The four sections of syllabus, broken down further into the 20 FPCs
- A list of any e-portfolio content that has been mapped as evidence to each FPC
- F1 and F2 descriptors for each FPC
- e-LfH courses that are considered particularly relevant to each FPC
- Note that this section will not show which courses the foundation doctor has completed - it will show which courses they may consider completing to add to the evidence base for achievement of a specific FPC
- Educational supervisor rating for each section
Learn more about
How do I map a portfolio item to the curriculum as evidence?
A portfolio item can be mapped as evidence to as many foundation professional capabilities (FPCs) as required.
The process for evidence mapping to the curriculum is:
1. Portfolio > Contents
2. Find the portfolio item (that is, the form) that you want to map
3. To the right of the form, underneath the date it was submitted, select "map to curriculum"
4. The curriculum will pop up, showing the four sections:
5. Select the section under which you want to map the portfolio item
6. Select the FPC against which you want to map the portfolio item:
7. The item is now mapped. Select more FPCs if required:
8. Select "close" in the top right-hand corner of the pop-up when you're finished.
Learn about how to "un-map" a portfolio item.
How do I "un-map" a portfolio item to the curriculum as evidence?
To remove a curriculum mapping from a portfolio item:
1. Follow the mapping process - selecting an existing mapping will un-select that mapping (see below).
2. Portfolio item mapped to two FPCs:
3. Select "1: Acts professionally" - this is now "un-mapped":
4. Select "close" in the top right-hand corner of the pop-up when you're finished.
Rating the curriculum
What is the curriculum progress rating form?
The curriculum progress rating form provides a simple and clear way for educational supervisors to satisfy the following requirement of their role:
5.58 The educational supervisor must meet with the foundation doctor and complete the relevant sections of the e-portfolio. These include the:
• FP curriculum coverage/overview page
FP Reference Guide (2017) (p.33)
It is available to download as a blank form.
Learn about where the curriculum progress rating form is.
Who should complete the curriculum progress rating form?
Only educational supervisors have access to the "Curriculum progress rating" form for each foundation doctor.
Who can view submitted curriculum progress ratings?
The educational supervisor's completed curriculum progress ratings can be viewed by anyone who has access to the foundation doctor's e-portfolio.
The ratings can be viewed in 3 places:
- Portfolio overview
- Summary of evidence report
Are educational supervisors required to rate the curriculum?
It is expected that educational supervisors will rate each of the 4 sections of the curriculum as either satisfactory, partially met or not yet met [requirements] as part of their evidence for the ARCP panel to consider.
This is the simplest and clearest way for educational supervisors to confirm that foundation doctors have sufficiently evidenced their FP curriculum coverage.
Ratings appear in the "Summary of evidence report" for ARCP.
Where is the curriculum progress rating form?
Only assigned educational supervisors have access to the "Curriculum progress rating" form for each foundation doctor.
There are 3 way to access the form:
1. Portfolio Overview
1.1 FD portfolio > Overview > Scroll down to the "Curriculum" section (just under ARCP)
1.2 Under the "Curriculum progress ratings by Educational Supervisor:" title and the list of the 4 curriculum sections, select the "Rate progress now" link
2. Summary of evidence report
2.1 FD portfolio > Overview > Scroll down to the "ARCP" section (just under Placements)
2.2 Select the "Summary of evidence" link
2.3 Scroll down the the "REQUIREMENT: Satisfactory completion of all FP curriculum outcomes" section
2.4 Under the "Curriculum progress ratings by Educational Supervisor:" title and the list of the 4 curriculum sections, select the "Rate progress now" link
3.1 FD portfolio > Curriculum
3.2 Under each curriculum section heading you will see an "ES progress rating" section - select the "Rate progress now" link to the right of this (the link next to each of the 4 section headings takes you to the same form)
How does the curriculum progress rating form work?
The curriculum progress rating form is short and simple. It lists the four sections of the FP Curriculum "Syllabus" and asks the educational supervisor to select one of the following four ratings:
- Not yet rated
- Partially met
- Not yet met
To save the form, a rating must be selected for each section.
- If you are not yet ready to rate a section, select "Not yet rated".
- Select "Save changes" when you have made your selections.
The form can be edited throughout the rotation (subject to the usual time limits). Only one form exists per rotation.
- The date the form was last saved and by whom is shown next to each rating.